Today I added fire and poison, which may sound like the components of a very videogame-y videogame, but I assure you that you don’t need to worry about that. I said many months ago that the first level was “essentially mechanically complete,” but that was a total lie, because there were all these “small” things I wasn’t counting. Now as I implement them I’m starting to see dynamics that I didn’t even expect at the same time as many difficulties arise in tying all of them together into one working system. I’m trying to accept that there will have to be compromises somewhere, even as I now go back to revise some of the game’s first puzzles, which I first made 2 years ago. One day all these choices will be set in stone, and it will be as satisfying as if I had burned the whole thing down.